Ask Us- FAQs on Learning Disability & ADHD

Home Ask Us- FAQs on Learning Disability & ADHD

When our children struggle at home or school, have difficulty making and keeping friends, we often feel unsure of what to do or where to turn. Here’s where to look for answers and advice.  Please go through the FAQs to find answers to your questions. If you are unable to find an answer to your query, please write to us through the form provided below. Our team of experts and medical professionals will try to answer and provide helpful information to help you support your children in reaching their full learning potential.

Learning Disabilities

You should get your child assessed when you feel that there may be learning or development related challenges with your child. There is no specific age, however, it is difficult to evaluate children under 2-3 years. See our detailed listing of developmental milestones based on the age of your child, to help you evaluate if there is a need for formal assessment.

You should get your child assessed by a reputed, certified child psychologist as a first step. Basis the preliminary diagnosis, further tests may be done to identify the specific conditions afflicting your child. You may also choose to visit a child psychiatrist or pediatrician for initial evaluation.

Always visit qualified professionals only. You can find a qualified professional close to you from our listing on this website.

You should get an assessment when you suspect your child may have challenges. As a parent, you are most in tune with your child’s condition, and your empirical evaluation is the basic stage of primary evaluation.
That said, for younger children, if you find significant gaps in developmental milestones being achieved as compared to their age, you should immediately refer to a qualified paediatrician.

ADHD stands for Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder. Learn about this condition in detail in our ADHD section

Autism is the generic term for a wide spectrum of developmental conditions. Learning about this in detail in our Autism section.

OCD is a quite common disorder amongst all age groups. Therapy can be easily availed from any clinical psychologist. For children usually Behavioral therapy is used and has good effective results. Basically, it works on the premise that one cannot be in a state of anxiety for a prolonged period of time. Anxiety levels will rise, peak and then come down over a period of time when faced with a feared /stress causing object or situation. In ERP, the person is exposed to the fear inducing object/situation and allowed to feel the anxiety/fear to surface. They are not supposed to do anything to reduce the fear/anxiety but wait for it to abate on it’s own. The intensity of the fear/anxiety causing object /situation starts from minimum gradual increase. This must be done under the guidance of a professional. There are many more things involved in the process. Many people prefer CBT over ERP.


A child who has difficulties in writing, and that is certified as per the guidelines, can request for and be granted a scribe for writing examinations.

  • The candidate shall have the discretion of opting for his own scribe/reader or request the examination center for the same.
    • In case Scribe/Reader is provided by Examination Centre, the qualification of Scribe should not be more than the minimum Qualification criteria of the examination, however, the qualification should always be matriculation or above.
    • In case the candidate is allowed to bring his own scribe, the qualification of the scribe should be one step below the qualification of the candidate taking examination. The person with benchmark disabilities opting for own Scribe/Reader should submit the detail of the own scribe/Reader as per proforma. Candidate shall also have the option of meeting the scribe two days before the examination.
    • Candidates will be allowed to change Scribe/Reader in case of emergency. The candidate shall also be allowed to take more than one scribe/reader for writing different papers specially for languages. However, there can be only one scribe per subject.
    • Centre Superintendent of the examination centre concerned shall forward to the concerned Regional Officer of the Board, a report giving full particulars of the candidate and of the scribe.
    • Suitable room shall be arranged for the candidate for whom a scribe is allowed and a separate Assistant Superintendent shall be appointed by the Centre Superintendent to supervise his/her examination.
  • Services of Scribe shall be provided free of cost.
  • The Scribe shall be paid remuneration by the Centre Superintendent as per norms of CBSE.


According to CBSE circular dated 12th April 2019, parents cannot be a scribe to their child. Schools may follow a different policy for internal exams and tests, however even then the parents of a child are usually not allowed to scribe.

No, a sibling is not allowed as a scribe for the Board examinations. Schools may follow a different policy for internal exams and tests, however even then the siblings of a child are usually not allowed to scribe.

The process for applying and receiving a scribe are described in our section _____

You will need to work with the school to find a student who may be two classes lower and doesn’t have exams at the same time.

Alternately, you can ask for the examination centre to provide a scribe.

This depends on the school’s internal policy as there is no legal guideline for this.

This depends on the school’s internal policy as there is no legal guideline for this.

Please refer to the following point about the kind of disabilities included in the Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill – 2016 passed by the Parliament

  • Disability caused due to—
    • (a) chronic neurological conditions, such as—
    • (i) “multiple sclerosis” means an inflammatory, nervous system disease in which the myelin sheaths around the axons of nerve cells of the brain and spinal cord are damaged, leading to demyelination and affecting the ability of nerve cells in the brain and spinal cord to communicate with each other

Yes, NIOS certificates of 10th and 12th are accepted by Indian and foreign universities

No. You can only opt for one. As per CBSE Guidelines, Provision of Reader to read the question paper in case student with disability does not want scribe facility will be allowed but the Role of Such Person will be limited to Reading of Question Paper. Request for such permission should be made by the candidate through Principal with specific recommendation by the registered medical practitioners / authorized psychologist. Such cases will be referred to the CBSE Regional Office by the school Principal and permission will be accorded on case to case basis based on merit. Such candidates will not be allowed to use scribe facility.

It is possible for you to enroll a child in both CBSE and NIOS simultaneously. For NIOS you need a class 8 Pass certificate (for class 9/10). But one should avoid as it is difficult for the child. Sometimes parents enroll for both to avoid societal pressure and stigma.

There is no clarification for lower classes in the CBSE guidelines. Accommodations and exemptions are completely at the school’s discretion in lower classes. According to CBSE Circular No 65 Dated 24th December 2009, “Schools are advised to allow parents when they make a request to provide an aid so that individual attention is possible for the child and enables the student to grow and learn along with the other peers in the class” You can request the school to offer accommodations and exemptions on the basis of this circular and if they do not comply you can raise the matter with the CBSE regional office ( of your state.

According to CBSE Circular dated 20th January 2020 ( , “Board has decided  to facilitate such students by permitting use of Simple Basic Calculator during Class X & Class XII Board’s  Examinations.  Calculator   will only be allowed to those students who have already been registered under CWSN category for class X & Class XII examinations2020.”

According to CBSE guidelines only certificates obtained from government hospitals will be accepted for availing exemptions in class X board exams.

The process is outlined here XXXXXXX

No, NIPCCD is not authorized to issue disability certificates. Disabiltiy certificates in Delhi can be obtained from government hospitals.

They can definitely change school in class XII but you will need special permission from CBSE/DOE as the registration for board exams is done in previous classes i.e. IX and XI. Direct admission to class X and XII has to be brought to the notice of the regional offices of the respective region with evidence and reasons

Write a mail to the regional officer of the region and mention the roll numbers and the copy of the mark sheet received with enhanced marks with one copy to the school from where the child has appeared.

Schools can detain a student if they fail in more than one subject. Also, if the student has failed in a particular language, there is no retest. Retest is allowed for one subject.

No child can be detained till class VIII due to the Right to Education Act. For class X, according to CBSE rules, if the child has failed in 2 or more subjects then will have to repeat.

Yes  there are a range of subjects available for CBSE. But it also depends on the school. The school has to apply to CBSE for teaching those subject. In case the school has not applied for any alternative subjects they can only offer a choice in the second language. 


Refer CBSE Circular for information on subjects related to class XI and XII. (


Anecdotally, horse riding is considered a good therapy as it works on multiple levels including proprioception, motor skills etc.

Read more about EQUINE Therapy here.

Most items like grips, thera-putty, blocks etc are easily available online.

Please search in our list of professionals for someone who is within suitable distance.
We are constantly adding new professionals to this list, so if you don’t find someone just yet, please check back in a short while.

Please search in our list of professionals for someone who is within suitable distance.
We are constantly adding new professionals to this list, so if you don’t find someone just yet, please check back in a short while.


Homework is never fun for any child, and more so for special needs children. Try some of these tips or search for more online, and see what works best for you and your child

Drooling may happen due to many reasons like open mouth posture, low jaw strength or swallowing disorder. A Speech therapist or an Occupational Therapist can guide you in controlling the drooling.

    Fill up the form

    error: Content is protected !!